The Sioux Empire Housing Partnership offers rental education – the first step to responsible home ownership. How you pay your rent and bills in a timely fashion and how you maintain your rental unit reflects on what type of homeowner you may be. The subjects discussed in rental education include the following:
Overview of Renting
- Renting vs. Ownership
- Understanding the rental process and applicable tenant laws
- Analyze problems and establish goals
- Draft a budget
- Prioritize expenses – necessary and other expenses
- How to set aside funds for a future goal
Obtaining Rental Housing
- What type of neighborhood will work for your particular needs?
- Schools – safety – transportation – available grocery stores
- What type of unit is best for you – apartment, duplex, house
- Apartment inspection checklist
- The application process
- Screening policies – why most landlords require a credit and criminal background check
- The lease – what to look for and how to understand it
- Deposits and how to protect security deposits
- Privacy – when can a landlord enter a rental unit?
- Safety and repair
- What is the landlord responsible for and what are his rights?
- What is the tenant responsible for and what are his rights?
- Roommates and neighbors
- Roommate agreements/checklists
- How to maintain a good relationship with your neighbors to have a good rental experience
- Renters insurance – is it necessary?
- How to deal with landlord disputes
- Breaking a lease by the tenant or landlord
- The impact of foreclosures on renters
For further information on our first-time homebuyer programs, please contact us:
Phone: (605) 339-0942
or fill out the Information Form